Sunday 4 October 2009

Did Paul keep his words and promises?

1 Corinthians chapter 1

15 Because I was confident of this, I planned to visit you first so that you might benefit twice. 16 I planned to visit you on my way to Macedonia and to come back to you from Macedonia, and then to have you send me on my way to Judea. 17 When I planned this, did I do it lightly? Or do I make my plans in a worldly manner so that in the same breath I say, "Yes, yes" and "No, no"?

23 I call God as my witness that it was in order to spare you that I did not return to Corinth.

Paul planned to visit Corinthians in the first place, and the Corinthians knew about his coming, but later he did not come to Corinthian, see here in verse 23, he did not return to Corinth after all.

Was Paul, a liar, a false prophet, because he changed his plan without foretelling the Corinthians? A man without trust worthiness? Answer is, no!

Paul Defends His Ministry

We have all faced criticism at one time or another. In the church, the pastor(s) and leaders in particular bear the brunt of a great deal of griping. It was no different in the first century. The Pharisees and scribes were constantly criticizing Jesus. Even the churches that James wrote to had to be told to stop their grumbling and complaining (5:9). (http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/2Cor/Paul-Defends-His-Ministry)

A Change of Plans (1:15-22) It is a sad but true indictment of the church that we are too often program and people driven rather than mission and message oriented. An experienced cotton-mill manager once said to Charles Hummel, the director of faculty ministries with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, that his greatest danger was in letting the urgent things crowd out the important. In a rapidly changing and quickly paced society like ours, we as Christians live in constant tension between the urgent and the important. All too frequently it is the urgent that wins out. Paul faced this problem with the Corinthian church in his day. A canceled visit to Corinth led the church to label Paul as a fair-weather friend who, following the way of the world, made and changed his plans to suit himself and no one else. And if he was unreliable in small matters like this, how was he to be trusted in bigger matters like preaching the gospel? What the Corinthians failed to see, however, is that Paul's travels in serving the gospel were governed not by personal whim but by his mission and his message. God, not people or programs, dictated his schedule.(http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/2Cor/Corinthians-Complaints)

No comments:

Post a Comment