Monday 27 April 2009

In Memory of the Rev (Dr) Timothy Tow Siang Hui



By Jonathan Tow, 22 April 2009, Singapore

http://www.febc.edu.sg/assets/weekly2009/weekly-volvi-no30.htm

Many of you this evening know my father well. Some have co-laboured with him, many pastored by him, perhaps a number saved through him, and some taught by him. Regardless, many would agree that he was truly a man of God.

As Rev Tow’s son, I’ve seen my father’s life, both in the church and in the family. He was godly and devout. To me, he was a most gentle, patient, forgiving, generous, honest, loving, selfless, compassionate, gracious, loyal and obedient Christian. He practised what he preached. And, he always put God first. As a family, we witnessed this daily.

I just want to briefly share with you how my father was a man of faith and prayer. When confronted with situations, he always looked to the Lord for guidance and comfort. He recognised the sovereign will of God, and waited on His providence. Even in darkest moments and times of grave disappointment, he never blamed God, nor did he vilify those that treated him with evil intent. He was always calm and urged us to be like Jesus, like when Jesus prayed to His heavenly Father.

Even when my father was faced with physical infirmities in his old age, he never complained. He always said to trust his Savior. There were times I questioned the Lord why certain things befell my father, a most faithful servant of God. Each time I tried to solicit some response from my father, he always pointed to the will of God. Such was his total faith to God, as he would say, “Trust the Lord, He has a plan in your life, commit to Him”.

During his ministry, it was not uncommon for my father to give his entire salary to further God’s work. It was natural as men of flesh to sometimes feel worried what tomorrow holds should my father be called to the Lord early. We had some common fears, since my father, in worldly terms, owned nothing; no property and barely a nominal bank account. But he always responded spiritually, that we must have faith, trust the Lord and He will provide. The Lord is faithful, and the material, is immaterial.

In terms of prayer, my father always focused on seeking God’s will through earnest prayer. He never offered worldly advice, but always pointed to God’s will and seeking after His word. Also, when in doubt, he would tell you to pray. Pray, pray and pray. When we were young, we had our own family prayer meeting. In recent times, with his grandchildren, he would teach them to pray and bless them with his prayers.

When I look back, sometimes I wonder how it is possible to live like the great men of faith in the Bible. How to lead godly lives in all aspects. While he was certainly not perfect, I’ve seen my father to be a good example, and encouragement, that we can emulate, and achieve.

Finally, I want to share what I see to be a “thread” that binds these attributes of my father together. To me, it was his desire to show us that as a father, to love his family, was to demonstrate the love of God, our heavenly Father, to us all. It is not about wealth, or promises, it is about simple faith, and trust in the Lord. This also required us to love the Lord.

My father understood that as a father, he was but a temporary guardian. He showed us that our true Father is God eternal. When my father departs, we do not remain fatherless. Like him, we have the same eternal Father. That to me, is a key essence he imparted to us.

I am privileged to share in his life. I thank God that I was able to return to Singapore last month (March 2009) for two weeks. My father was in good health and continued to have a clear and lucid mind. His eye-sight remained perfect and he was still able to read in Chinese. He also read the newspapers and even asked me some international relations questions, as I was working in New York. But what struck me most was his profound humour. During the two weeks, he must have been a little irritated that I kept asking him the same question; “Dad, how are you?” He usually nodded silently. On the final night before I returned to New York, I asked the same question a couple of times. This time, he grinned, and asked the same question back; “Son, how are you?” I smiled. I was stumped. I saw what he meant. It was a profound response. We both understood.

I thank the Lord that my father returned to his heavenly Father peacefully in his sleep, and during a time when his health had significantly improved. It was to me, a remarkable and glorious return. The Lord, to me, did not forsake His faithful servant. The Lord, to me, returned as appropriate and just, to my father, a healthy physical and mental state, to honour him and to prove His power and love. And then, He bid my father welcome home.

No comments:

Post a Comment